Thursday, December 5, 2013

These Four Walls


I have been drawing maps for a long time.  Nantucket is such an iconic shape that you can't help yourself from drawing her likeness.  
This map is in the Nantucket Whaling Museum.  Measures 17' x 11'


Since I have been here I have been working on the Map as landscape.    I have always loved the delicacy and ornanment that maps are filled with. In my studio practice I have exploring the juxtaposition of the topography of land mass with the grid of humanity that rests on top.   Everyday it changes and takes me somewhere new.  Here are my studio walls with intaglio, monotype, and paint...places I have been and places I hope to go.  I am interested in where this will take me.


If you look close you can see Walley, our beloved dog, keeping watch.  Mike slipped it into one of my bags that I found when I unpacked.  He's the perfect studio mate.  Very agreeable.





No comments:

Post a Comment